What has changed
1. Building footprint covers less than 10% of MIDI’s concession
2. The total open spaces have increased to 186,000sqm
3. 10,000 sqm of indigenous garden at the entrance of Manoel Island
4. The historical Bovile route will be recreated together with the marina promenade
5. Elimination of solid break water and reclamation
Instead of a solid breakwater, MIDI will be developing a floating breakwater which will minimise the impact on the marine environment. Also, the reduced masterplan will refrain from the 14,000 sqm land reclamation, thereby eliminating the impact of the development on the Gzira promenade.
6. Traffic Impact and a car free environment
The new development will have less traffic impact because of the proposed reductions in development. Also, parking and most of the circulation will be located below ground, thereby promoting a car free environment.
Other key factors
Apart from the improvements, the key commitments from the previous masterplan shall be retained.
1. Access to the foreshore
Access to the foreshore will be preserved at all time for the enjoyment of the general public.
2. The conditions of the Guardianship Agreement signed between the Manoel Island Foundation and MIDI will be respected.
MIDI is keen for the local community to have every opportunity to view the new proposals and to ask questions. You can register for updates or leave comments on the Contact Us page.
Throughout the project timeline we will also engage and provide updates, ensuring that we deliver significant benefits to the community for the long term.